Semiotics is the analysis of meaning and how it is created. Every brand embodies meaning, and everyone consumes meaning.
We strive to learn more about the meaning behind, and within, a brand, the life and behaviour of people, and the socio-cultural context in which they live.
By analyzing signs, semiotics reveals the underlying codes, rules, and structures of culture.
How does semiotics play a role in marketing and branding?
Semiotics creates a deeper understanding of how the four Ws interact: Who? What? Why? When?
It reveals the social and cultural forces that are at work behind our beliefs, behaviour, and psychology that we are not always consciously aware of .
Semiotics transforms insight by contextualising understanding.
Semiotics can contribute uniquely to four key aspects of branding and marketing.
- Identifying cultural and social trends
- Mapping trend movements and momentum
- Foresight: predictive cultural and trend analysis
- Innovating from cultural trends
- Market opportunity identification
- Semiotic ideation
- Consumer behaviour modelling
- Consumer journeys
- Buyer persona’s & consumer typologies
- Cultural and social positioning
- Brand asset evolution
- Brand meaning differentiation
- Mapping changing category meaning
- Brand and category audits
- Communication strategy evaluation and development
- Brand symbolism & visual narrative analysis
- Visual identity & packaging audits
- CX development
- UX development and evaluation
- Website identity development
- Online brand persona development
- Servicescape development
- Shopper narrative analysis
- Retail semiotics